News and Other Announcements
- Dr. Crawford to Participate at the Harvard Data Science Initiative Conference (09/2018): Lorin will be a panelist speaking on personalized medicine at the upcoming Harvard Data Science Initiative Conference taking place on October 17th and 18th. More information about the event may be found here.
- Dr. Crawford to Give Pattern Theory Seminar (09/2018): On October 3rd, Lorin will be giving a talk in the Pattern Theory Lunch Seminar Series in the Division of Applied Mathematics at Brown University. The talk will take place at 12pm in Room 110 of 182 George St. The official seminar schedule may be found here.
- Two New Students Start Rotations in the Lab (09/2018): Emily Winn and Pinar Demetci have officially started rotating in the Crawford Lab. Emily is a 2nd year PhD student in the Brown Division of Applied Mathematics, while Pinar is just beginning her doctoral work in Computational Biology with a focus in Computer Science. Welcome to the group!
- New Collaborative Project in Nature Communications (09/2018): A new paper, led by collaborators from the Wood Lab at Duke, is out in Nature Communications! The paper is entitled "Systematic Mapping of BCL-2 Gene Dependencies in Cancer Reveals Molecular Determinants of BH3 Mimetic Sensitivity." The significant contribution of this work is that it provides roadmap for targeting BCL-2 family dependencies in human cancers. Congrats to all of the authors!
- Alan Starts Rotation in the Lab (07/2018): Alan DenAdel, a former bioinformatics scientist at Illumina and current Brown Graduate School Presidential Fellow, has joined the Crawford Lab as he matriculates into the Computational Biology doctoral program. Welcome!
- Dr. Crawford Receives Savage Award (06/2018): Lorin received the 2017 Savage Award in Applied Methodology at the 2018 International Society for Bayesian Analysis World Meeting for his dissertation entitled "Bayesian Kernel Models for Statistical Genetics and Cancer Genomics." More details on this story can be found here.
- Dana Joins the Lab (05/2018): Dana Udwin, an incoming 2nd year Ph.D. student in the Department of Biostatistics in the Brown School of Public Health, has officially joined the Crawford Lab. Dana's research interests sit at the intersection of interpretable machine learning and statistical genetics. Welcome!
- Dr. Crawford Recieves COBRE Grant (03/2018):
Lorin received an institutional pilot award from the COBRE Center for Computational Biology of Human Disease (CBHD). The proposed study will provide comprehensive statistical tools for modeling and mapping epistasis in array- and sequence-based genome-wide association studies with dichotomous traits. The goal of the COBRE CBHD Pilot Award Program is to identify and support activities of talented junior investigators working on human disease related questions that require computational analyses of complex data sets. More details on this story can be found here.