Lorin Crawford is a Principal Researcher at Microsoft Research New England. He also holds a faculty position as an Associate Professor of Biostatistics at Brown University with an affiliation in the Center for Computational Molecular Biology. Prior to joining both MSR and Brown, Lorin received his PhD from the Department of Statistical Science at Duke University where he was formerly co-advised by Sayan Mukherjee and Kris C. Wood. As a Duke Dean’s Graduate Fellow and NSF Graduate Research Fellow he completed his PhD dissertation entitled: "Bayesian Kernel Models for Statistical Genetics and Cancer Genomics." Dr. Crawford received his Bachelors of Science degree in Mathematics from Clark Atlanta University. [Personal Website] [CV]
Alan DenAdel is a Computational Biology PhD student (on the Applied Mathematics track) and a Brown Graduate School Presidential Fellow. Prior to attending Brown, Alan worked at Illumina as a bioinformatics scientist. As an undergrad, he majored in mathematics (with minors in statistics and biology) at Pacific Lutheran University; and he now holds an MS in Bioinformatics and Genomics from the University of Oregon. Alan's current research interests include statistical theory development, machine learning applications in genomics, and reproducible research.
Chibuikem (Chib) Nwizu is an MD-PhD student at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, and is currently working to complete his PhD in Computational Biology (on the Computer Science track). Chibuikem graduated from Brown University with an ScB in Applied Mathematics-Biology. His current research interests broadly include topological data analysis and the application of machine learning to clinical diagnostics, cancer genomics, and stem cell biology.
Dana Udwin is a PhD student in the Department of Biostatistics in the School of Public Health. Before moving to Providence, she worked as a data scientist at MassMutual Financial Group while pursuing an MS in Statistics from the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Dana graduated from Smith College with a BA in Mathematics and a minor in Chinese. Her research interests include statistical machine learning and Bayesian methodology.
Emily Winn is a PhD candidate in the Division of Applied Mathematics at Brown University and a National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellow. Emily received her Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics with High Honors from the College of the Holy Cross. She also completed a year in the Visiting Students Programme at St. Edmund Hall at the University of Oxford. Her research interests include statistical topology, topological data analysis, and developing new methods using tools from probability and information theory. [Personal Website]
Alexandra (Alex) Wong is an MD-PhD candidate at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University. Alex graduated from Brown University with a ScB in Computer Science and an AB in Biology. Before matriculating to medical school, she worked as a software engineer at Yelp and managed her nonprofit, Fiction for Kids. Alex's research interests broadly include developing statistical models and applying machine learning algorithms towards cancer genomics and pharmacology.
Former Lab Members and Affiliated Alumni:
- Ashley May Conard (Computational Biology PhD 2022 and Postdoctoral Fellow) → Senior Researcher at Microsoft Research
- Wei Cheng (Computational Biology PhD 2022 co-advised by Sohini Ramachandran) → Research Scientist at Meta/Facebook
- Wai Shing Tang (Physics PhD 2022) → Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Flatiron Institute
- Lee Ding (Applied Mathematics Undergrad 2022) → PhD Student in Biostatistics at Harvard University
- Gregory Darnell (Postdoctoral Fellow co-advised by Sohini Ramachandran) → Senior Research Scientist in Health AI at Apple
- Erin Bugbee (Behavioral Decision Sciences and Statistics Undergrad 2020) → PhD Student in Behavioral Decision Research at Carnegie Mellon University
- Gabrielle Ferra (Applied Mathematics-Biology Undergrad 2020) → PhD Student in Genome Sciences at the University of Washington
- Kayla Scharfstein (Applied Mathematics-Computer Science Undergrad 2020) → PhD Student in Statistics and Data Science at Carnegie Mellon University
- Zachary Kaplan (Applied Mathematics Undergrad 2019) → Machine Learning Engineer at Schrödinger
- Timothy Sudijono (Applied Mathematics Undergrad 2019) → PhD Student in Statistics at Stanford University
- Isaac Zhao (Biostatistics Masters 2019) → Cancer Genomic Researcher at the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Bruce Wang (Data Science Initiative Masters 2018) → PhD Student in Quantitative and Computational Biology at Princeton University